Saturday, April 16, 2011

In Christ Alone

Wow. All I keep thinking is, Wow.
Okay, that's a lie. That's not all I keep thinking. I'm also thinking about a bajilion ways I could write this post...how do I put into words what I experienced with 8,514 women (and 4 men) in attendance at Verizon arena. We all feel like we had the best and hardest workout of our lives. And- I can't sleep until I post about it!
I've blogged in the past about our Thursday night ladies bible study that's going on year 6. Well, 12 of us went to Little Rock last night to praise God and listen to a message about how we can live a fulfilled life through Christ during our short time on Earth. Beth Moore spoke to us using 2 Timothy Chapter 4 as our focus. In an extreme nutshell, we can't do this thing called "life" alone, as an island, relying on our own strength. We can only make it through Christ and how we reflect His love in our relationships.
(What I'm about to admit makes me shake while typing, but it's the truth...)
It wasn't that long ago, that I just didn't "get" it.
I would hear Christian music and it didn't do anything for me.
The thought of heaven as a place where we praise Jesus all day, didn't sound that great to me.
I knew I was missing something! Why are so many Christians in love with Jesus? I knew I believed in God, I knew I wanted to live a "good" life, but I also knew that I had an unfulfilled longing.
It wasn't until I took the risk to be vulnerable and took the giant leap of faith to be baptized at the ripe 'ol age of 20, did I really GET it. OH, HOW I GOT IT. (Thank you, Jesus.) And it wasn't until this year that I really understood why accepting Jesus opened my heart up to feel what I knew I was supposed to feel when praising God, because when I accepted Jesus I received the holy spirit and that is what stirs us! It's what MOVES us.
I began thinking I would just post the lyrics to this song "In Christ Alone" and let it speak for itself, but then I realized you can experience a sliver of what we experienced by listening and watching (and singing along if you really want to be bold!) to the youtube video.

 I lose all composure I manage to muster during the first half of the song, when this verse is sung: No guilt in life, no fear in death; This is the power of Christ in me; From life's first cry to final breath; Jesus commands my destiny.
Only by God's grace am I sitting here typing out my redemption story for anyone who will listen.
That verse is my 2009. Thomas took his final breath and his son took his first cry.
Hallelujah and Amen, Jesus, that you held on tight to me even before I knew you. You had people in place in my life who listened to you and taught me about you, because you knew what was in store for me. You knew I would need you AND them.

Only you know when I will take my final breath, but by your mercy that I can never earn, I will open my eyes and tell you to your glorious face "WE MADE IT!"

So I want to beg every single one of you (even those of you saying, "yeah, that's a great song" or "I already know it" or "I don't have time") to at least listen to it. And at the very, very least listen to the part from 3:19-5:21. Promise me you'll do it.

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm

What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless Babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save

Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live, I live

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again

And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny


No power of hell, no scheme of man
Could ever pluck me from His hand
Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I stand.

Ps Dori feel better and we will tell you every single detail! We love you!

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I just watched the video with my little boy and we had a wonderful talk about Jesus--thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete