Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pierce My Ear, O Lord

So a couple of days after Thomas came home from the hospital I was admiring him in his crib and it hit me that God gave me another "sign" of his love for my family. I have constantly prayed, even before their births, that my kids would have a heart for God. I want them to feel like I do about God and how I choose to belong to Him and live my life for Him. I know that growing up is hard and their beliefs can and will be challenged, but I have always believed that if they have a heart for God they will always belong to Him and want to be close to Him. At the hospital I was aware of Thomas' cute dimple on his right ear, but it wasn't until I was able to be in a quiet time with God and baby Thomas that it hit me... God had pierced Thomas! One of my favorite church songs is "Pierce My Ear" Here are the lyrics (and here is a home video of some sweet girls singing it a capella!):
Pierce my ear, O Lord, my God. Take me to Your door this day. I will serve no other god. Lord, I'm here to stay.
For You have paid the price for me.
With Your blood You ransomed me. I will serve You eternally. Your free one I long to be.

This song is in reference to Exodus 21:2-6 where it discusses a servant who fulfills his/her obligation to the master, but then chooses to stay with the master who then pierces the servant's ear as a sign of devotion.

This piercing of just his right ear (which doesn't go all the way through his earlobe, in case you were wondering, it is actually considered a "dimple") along with his special birth date, shared with his daddy, makes me have goosebumps because both of these are such special, unique occurrences that will be constant reminders of God's love for our little family.
Photographic evidence below :-)
Prayers:
*Thanks for the prayers and suggestions for nursing--they have helped!
*My energy is slowly returning!
*Caroline is loving her little brother, although she has been telling me that she misses me quite often, (like when she woke up this morning!) Pray that she won't feel like I'm not here when I am taking care of Thomas!
*Praise of thanks for mimi (my mom) and all of my family and friends who have stayed with me these last couple of weeks and helped give all three of us attention when we need it!!
*Also a praise that I was able to go back to teaching the early childhoo University of Arkansas class for a few hours two days a week. Thomas was proud of me for teaching it last year and it has already been a blessing to me these last two weeks. The students are fantastic and it has been good for me to share my love for learning and teaching (and being a part of the outside world again!!)

22 comments:

  1. Thomas is a gorgeous little guy! It sounds like things are settling into a schedule with the kids. I had just checked earlier today to see if there was an update so I'm glad to see a picture and hear how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious!!! Thinking of you all with love and wish you continued blessings always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, bonnie, that is amazing!!! i've been praying for you, caroline and baby thomas! glad to hear you are doing great.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, how neat is that? I noticed his "piercing" when I was there and almost asked you about it. What a neat reminder that Thomas IS a child of God's! Just like his mommy. I am glad nursing is going better and that class is going well. Still thinking of you and praying for you often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I check your blog daily and you are such an inspiration. I know you are busy but I would love to see more pictures of your sweet little family and hear updates more often of how you all are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas is a beautiful baby! You have been blessed.

    Sharon
    My Vintage Studio

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas is SO precious! I'm constantly thinking about you and how you are doing! I too LOVE the song Pierce My Ear and can tell that the Lord had a hand in everything surrounding your sweet baby boy. I just want to meet him! :)
    And I am SO glad you've been able to return to the UA Global Campus to teach! Sandy tells me every Thursday how glad she is you're there. I was thrilled too...just sad that I can't have you for a teacher still! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your children are BEAUTIFUL! Reading that gave me goosebumps, so I know it must have gave you some too! It's amazing to sit and watch how God works, and how he blesses our lives in so many ways.

    And thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your knowledge with us. I know you have a lot on your plate, but it really does mean a lot to me, and I'm sure many others as well.

    -Amelia Martens

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know about that song, or about that Bible story. Thanks for sharing! I am amazed that you can get out so quickly--that's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, that gives me goosebumps!! So awesome and he his most certainly a handsome little guy!!

    Still praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Wow that is the best story-- and how incredible that you are able to reflect and identify such sweet moments and coincidences...

    "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous"


    One of my favorite quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is such a precious gift. I know I share w/you the prayer that my children will also have Godly hearts. I am so glad to hear you are doing well. I am keeping all of you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your baby boy is just precious, Bonnie. I'm so thankful he has been such a blessing from God to you and your family. Congrats on teaching again. It'll keep you sane to have some regular adult interaction. Continuing to pray for you!
    love, Brenda Elmore

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie you have a beautiful son! I wish so much that Thomas was there with you, Caroline and baby Thomas but I just know he is watching over all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet Bonnie,
    It's so good to see little Thomas! I still think of you often and pray for you.
    Love and blessings to you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie,

    You don't know me, but my name is Steve Croft and I wrote the song "Pierce My Ear" many years ago. I'm so glad that it is a blessing to you.

    Let me know if there is anything I can do.

    Still thankful for my "pierced ear" (and Thomas's)

    Steve Croft
    scroft@rockfordres.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow we still play that song in church. I was surfing around looking for the author and found this story. This would make a great GodWink story, if you don't mind I would forward the link to Squire Rushnell.

      Delete
    2. Sharon, please do! It's so special to me. I need to write an update! He's 4 now and still has his special piercing! : )

      Delete
  17. Hi there! I followed the link on my fellow photographer friends website (Raye Law) to your blog and just want to leave a little note to say that you are simply amazing. Your strength is such an inspiration. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such an inspiration. I am so happy to have found your blog. You have helped me in my faith.
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just wanted to let you know how much I admire you. Obviously the Lord trusts you with the trial of loosing your husband. YOu have done it so wonderuflly. I read your blog and thing over and over again how I couldn't do what you are doing much less with the amazing attitude you have. I am LDS and we believe that if you have been to the temple to be sealed you can be together as husband and wife for eternity. Even with that knowledge that we have been sealed together I couldn't handle a trial like that the way you are. YOu are amazing. I will forever remember you and your family for several reasons but one I share your husband and sons birthday. What sweet children you have. I know you have hard days but you are amazing and the Lord will bless you countless times for your faithfullness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Bonnie,
    I have been following your blog for a long time now. Your faith and realness are an encouragement to me. I had to tell you what my 10 year old son Jared said today. I was reading your blog and he asked me who the baby was...I told him your story and said the baby shared a birthday with his daddy but his daddy was in heaven. Jared said "he believed in Jesus?" I said yep and he said "good,because now when the baby grows up and believes in Jesus they will get to meet someday in Heaven" It just blessed my heart to know that they will meet someday and what a beautiful day that will be!
    Blessings!
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete