Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The game

The game Saturday was so unbelievable sad, yet memorable. Caroline was so excited that she literally ran as fast as her little legs could carry her all the way to the stadium (Thanks Uncle Trav for dropping Becky, Caroline and I off!) It was so fun seeing it all through her eyes. She asked me a million questions and it made me think about why we do what we do at football games.She wanted to know why some people were painted red from head to toe, "because it is a fun way to show support of our team"??
She wanted to know if I was going to help her play football. I had to explain that we were just going to watch other people play football.
She was concerned because she only had one pom pom and the cheerleaders had two. (Becky helped her by saying that Caroline's had both red and white colors in the one pom pom, so it was special.)
She kept saying the Razorbacks are "tough!"
She wanted to know why everyone was so loud, but then sometimes I had to tell her to be quiet for cheering too loudly. (so confusing!)
I remember my dad trying to patiently explain to me the four down system of football over and over again so many years ago.I saw so many dads with their kids there enjoying their time and part of me wanted to shout--"Enjoy this moment!! DON'T TAKE A SECOND OF IT FOR GRANTED!" and then a morbid part of me wants to tell everyone "You know you are going to die at some point?" I try to imagine what I would have thought of someone who would come up to me and say that to me nine months ago--What a loon! But today, I would just tell that person "You are right. Good thing I know where I am going when that happens!" At the same time, I realize now that most people are either going through or have been through a terrible "valley" like mine. So many people look "fine" on the outside, but who knows what is going on in their lives. My friend Kimberly (see the end of this post) mentioned this in her blog. So many times you are asked, "How are you?" by someone and you just say "fine" when actually you are hurting so badly or crying in your head about what is happening in your life. I try to remember this when I am feeling like I'm the only one hurting and everyone else around me seems so perfectly content.

God has been showing me how he is/has taken care of me in a couple of ways these past weeks. In the last post I mentioned how I was dreading telling the sweet couple from the Little Rock area who sit behind us about what happened.
I went by myself to get Caroline a hot dog and saw them! I thought what a perfect opportunity away from Caroline to tell them. As soon as they saw me they just hugged me so tight and I knew that they knew already.
They said they had heard Rick Schaffer (who works for the Razorbacks and for the school system Thomas taught in) on the radio say they had lost a teacher-he didn't hear the name, but God told him that it was Thomas. He went to the computer to check and it confirmed what God had already told him.
It was comforting to know God took care of this worry I had about telling our Razorback football friends months ago. I shouldn't have worried about it at all--
Matthew 6:25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life... 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"A couple of days before the game my dear friend, Kimberly, got a call to meet her family at the doctor's office where her precious four year old was supposedly having a routine check up for a fever. By that evening they were at Arkansas Children's Hospital where they were told Hannah has Leukemia. This is a strong Christian family and God is giving them strength, but prayers are needed. She and I have talked about how one day is "normal" and then the next moment can turn your life upside down. Please pray strength and healing for this family. Thank you!

9 comments:

  1. My prayers are being said for Hannah.

    Isn't it amazing how God takes care of is in ways we never would imagine. I know I always dreaded telling someone else that Shawn had passed and it was always a relief to find those who already knew and were just there to support Dean and I.
    You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Email me anytime if you need someone to talk to. Elisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. I start all of my comments with wow. In our small group the last 2 weeks we have had a prayer request from a girl (Harding grad) whose friend's husband was recently killed in Afghanistan...his wife is 3 mos. pregnant and has not even met her husband's family as they are living overseas and this couple was recently married and soon became pregnant. So The first time meeting was at the funeral...pregnant with his child and I said "Please share my sweet friend Bonnie's blog with your friend" This of course does not comfort You any more. But I do feel that others can seek comfort in strength in the ones who are going through a similar experience. And for me to immediately tell her that she can at least start reading some of your posts was very comforting to her. I pray for you all the time. Thank you for simply being you, I don't think you realize how your "you-ness" empowers others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures and the rehash of Miss Caroline's sweet (and fun) questions. I was so touched about the couple...how good is our God that He would already have that taken care of for you? I wondered if you ever have those thoughts (of wanting to shout out); I would think that is very normal. Yet I have yet to hear you utter those words, other than just now. Maybe we would all appreciate life more if you did. :) Still praying for the Crumby's and will for some time to come. And still praying for you, dear friend. What a blessing you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline looks absolutely adorable in her Razorback outfit! You've got quite a cutie there! Definitely will be praying today for Kimberly and her family.
    Much love and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't kids great. Such simple questions that we sometimes have no answer for other than "Just Because!"
    I am praying for you Bonnie. For some reason I have no other words right now. I am lost in the hurt all around me. You, Kimberly, Seth's Uncle and his family, I just sometimes can't come up with words, but I want you to know that I am praying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sad to hear about Kimberly. I am glad that she does have a solid basis in Christ, but I'm still sad for them. Hoping and praying for the best.
    Your story about the Little Rock couple made me cry. I never cease to be amazed at how good, good, good God is. He truly does take care of seemingly "little" things in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a Kreativ Blog Award waiting for you! Please come to my blog to claim your award!
    Trennia

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm proud of you bonnie and i love your openness. reading about your life and thoughts helps so many others. we continue to pray for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your are in my prayers....Your story touches me so deeply.....So glad that yall had a fun day

    ReplyDelete