Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Gardening With Caroline

Caroline used the garden tools that Grammy brought for her in our new garden that we are constructing. She absolutely loved watering the mint plant Grammy and Poppy gave us with her watering can. She then spent around 45 minutes shoveling dirt into her little bucket with her plastic shovel. Thomas showed her how to push it down into the dirt to get more onto the shovel and she immediately began using the new technique. I asked her if she was ready for her bath and she shook her head no without stopping her shoveling. Eventually she decided on her own that she was done. I watched her lift her, now heavy from dirt, bucket onto the ground and carefully place her shovel inside. She then picked up her rake and placed it inside for safekeeping as well. Finally, she lifted the handle on the bucket to carry it with her inside. She was very upset with me when I asked her to leave it outside. I promised her we would play again tomorrow, weather permitting. Precious.

Thomas also cut four huge limbs off of a dead tree in our front yard. It makes me very nervous, but he assures me he knows what he is doing. Caroline and I watched through the window in her room. She would say “BOOM,” after the limbs came down. It’s funny how I can tell that she was trying to ask me why daddy was cutting the limbs down, just by the way her head was cocked to the side and the expression on her face. I explained it to her and she seemed satisfied by the answer. I think she understands a lot of what we tell her.

No comments:

Post a Comment