Saturday, October 18, 2014

Day 18: Finishing the Race

Click here to see all the posts in this 31 day series! Thank you!
Finishing the race means so much to me. In about an hour I’ll be gearing up for my first 5K after Ethan has been born. I am not physically where I would like to be at this point, but as I write this post I am realizing that ugly perfectionism tendency has grown into this area of my life. I will do my best to focus on my “imperfect progress” I have made and remember how three years ago I would laugh really hard at the thought of me running. At all. Let alone in a “RACE!” “What?! That’s not for me. I’m not a runner,” I would say without a second thought.

Then motivation happened. Tyler and I decided to get married on a beach. So all of a sudden I think I might look into working out and all that it entails. It helped to have friends to encourage me and who would take time to show me what I need and what to do, but pretty quickly I discovered that I—gasp—enjoyed it! I was so surprised at how much better mentally and emotionally I felt after a workout. After a couple of months I could feel changed physically as well. I soon found out how much fun 5Ks were and I even for a few seconds thought I would try a 10K. WHO IS THIS PERSON?

Once precious Ethan came along it was just too plain hard to keep up with working out and as you’ve read in these posts there have been some challenges that affects the schedule I use to keep. I know this is just a time of growth and change, but it has been difficult.

During this transition in my life I knew it was time to change my blog. Three kids later the name of the blog did not work (I’m not sure it ever did!) and I had a stirring from God that if I was willing to trust Him and obey, He would provide the path to take.

Tyler was helping me along the way sorting out the logistics of changing blog names and its purpose when a dear friend’s mother went onto heaven after a long illness. It was a vivid reminder once again that we are all here on earth trying to finish this relatively short, difficult race.

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7

Oh my, you guys. I want to be spiritually in the same place Paul is when it is my time to go. I want to say “I fought hard! Look, I finished! I still love God as He has always loved me and now I go to where there is no more grief, stress, anxiety, Ebola, ISIS, sickness, abuse, or fill-in-your-own-fear-here.” Can you imagine? Well whether or not we can imagine it, it’s the Truth and it will be a glorious day when it arrives.

So today I physically go to a race which is being held in memory of an amazing young boy who fought his fight to completion last year.  He fought his short race in such an honorable way that the proceeds from today go to school children in Honduras where he went on many mission trips. I want to finish my race the same way, impacting lives for Christ which affects generations. This hard race requires encouragement from our fellow runners. We are all in the process of finishing this race every minute of each day as we continue to breathe here on earth. Let’s be cheering each other on. The reward is everlasting.

“I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back” Philippians 3:14 msg

No comments:

Post a Comment