Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Day 22: Why?


I have been thinking about my kids reading this blog in its entirety some day in the future, Lord willing, and that they may decide based on what I have written it sounds like I have everything figured out about my faith. I do not want to give off that impression. I want them to know I have doubts about God’s goodness, that I get mad at God and I question Him as to why He allows things to happen. Because I do those all of those things and more.

More often than I would like to admit.

God created each of us down to the smallest detail. I love that about Him and honestly, I don’t understand it either. Why would He allow people to have heart conditions, anxiety, or cancer or have people live in a country where there is water in multiple rooms of our house and then others do not have access to clean water at all? 

The “Christian” answer I believe is that these “hardships” are to be reminders of the broken world we live in; God desired for us to have a perfect world to enjoy, but He also loved us so much He created us with freewill to let us choose a relationship with Him rather than assembling an army of robots wired to follow Him. The challenges we are created with help point us and others in the direction of God to find relief, so when we choose Him we find joy, goodness and freedom despite our “issues”, which is simply amazing. These conditions also makes us empathetic for others which directs us to loving one another and sharing with them how we found our strength to overcome in Jesus, and we all know the joy to be found when we take care of each other. Also, Paul talks about his own “thorn in his side” and there are many stories of believers suffering famine or persecution…so we are in good company. We read over and over in the bible that ALL things work together for our God for those that love Him. If you’ll allow me to conclude this as a second grader would…All in all, His ways are not our ways.

Okay. That sounds reasonable right now. 

But, then the time arrives where we hear about people committing unthinkable acts of terror or there is a new diagnosis for ourselves or a loved one, and my flesh side of me says: That’s all fine and dandy that He works it all for our good , but it just doesn’t make sense. I don’t like it. I think there could have been a better way in creating the world. How could a loving God let us feel such pain? Why do some people’s hardships seem so much worse than another person’s? It seems unfair. Wah, wah, wah… Yes, it sounds like I am whining, because I AM WHINING!

I look at those two paragraphs above and you know what? They are both what I feel and know depending on the day. And I have come to a place in my faith that there is room for both of those “arguments.” What it boils down to is whether or not I’m feeling God’s love, it is there and it is unfailing. I know my feelings do not always reflect what is really happening. Feelings are reactions to circumstances. I may question God, but so does Job and David, and if we are honest—don’t we all?? Unless you are Jesus, you are not complete yet. There is still work to be done in all of us until the day we are told, “Well done, good and faithful servant.” God knows our hearts. If we have accepted Jesus, our sins are paid for. He can take my unbelief of His goodness during those hard times, as long as I believe in Him. I wholeheartedly believe in God. It’s the believing God that is a challenge when in a trial. 

He does equip us for the trials we will surely face while on earth if we let Him. I have found His promises are true time after time; most days I have even come to terms with "His ways not being my ways." He eases this process by allowing me to have joy that overflows which is undeniably from Him. I will be obedient today, and choose Him. I will choose joy.

What are you choosing to believe today?

 “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” Mark 9:24b

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts…
 You will go out in joy
    and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
    will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
    will clap their hands.
Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper,
    and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the Lord’s renown,
    for an everlasting sign,
    that will endure forever.” Isaiah 55:8-9 &12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment