Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Laughable!


Around six months ago a friend at the gym responded to my lament about not being able to fit in exercising the way I use to before sweet Ethan came along. She suggested I go to an o’dark thirty class in the morning. Oh how I laughed. Out loud, right away, in her face I laughed, because she obviously did not know me well and I am NOT a morning person. Nope, No siree bob. Hilar-ious.

Guess what happened yesterday?!  I did it. I went!!  Y’all, get this: it wasn’t horrible! It was actually way better than I expected, it was amazing! It ended up giving me many surprise blessings throughout the day that I could never imagined! I thought of that well-meaning friend a lot yesterday and how just a few months ago her suggestion was laughable. 
And of course, that evening I read the if:equip for that day. Sarah laughed, too.

How many times have I laughed off a well-meaning word of wisdom spoken to me when I think I know better. Sheesh! Don’t I spout off about trusting God? Whatever happened to “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me?” (Phil 4:14) Why do I pick and choose when to believe and trust in that verse? WHO DO I THINK I AM?!

In all seriousness, I can see how our pride gets in the way so often when God is pushing us out of our comfort zone and we think we know ourselves better than our creator. He does not want us to lead a boring, same-old, let’s go to make the donuts life. (This reference is even before my time, just google it if you don’t get it.) He has amazing, joyful experiences waiting for us when we allow Him to do His will with us.

Sometimes newness is forced upon us and the only decision to make is sink or swim. Being widowed at 29 with 1.5 kids was one of those times. Blessedly, I was surrounded by a community of believers who sat with me, cried with me, and gave the best gift ever: pointing me in the direction of the One who binds up the brokenhearted. I had no idea God was a refuge, a tear collector, a Great Physician who can bring joy from mourning…Before Thomas died I did not need to know God in that way. But I learned. 

If our mighty God can bring beauty from ashes the way He did in my life, and continues to do so as I grieve, why would I ever doubt Him to work in “small” areas of my life as well?

Well, I do doubt. I’m human, not Jesus. But just like He provided the people to encourage and admonish years ago, He is providing them today as well. I asked God to help me in the area of exercising and He sent a friend that said, “I’ll run along with you.” 

Let me tell you, it takes a fellow runner to go through grief…and to get up before the crack of dawn to sweat alongside me.

Thank you, Jesus for sending wise people into our lives. They may suggest laughable scenarios from where we are sitting today, but if it lines up with Your promises in the light of your Word, unimaginable blessings await us when we obey…Dear Lord, help us to remain teachable.

What idea or thought has come to you through God's Word or a wise friend that seems laughable? Why is it so implausible?
 
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10 esv (emphasis mine)

“A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.” John 10:10 msg (emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment